Three Gaels named student-athletes of the week

Photo Courtesy of ionagaels.com

Camil Azzam Ruiz of the Iona men’s soccer team was also named MAAC offensive player of the week, which was announced on Monday.  

Lachlan Wellington, Sports Editor

Emma Vu of Iona women’s volleyball and Edu Calvo-Salinas of Iona men’s soccer were named the Ridgewood Savings Bank student-athletes of the week for Oct. 14-20.

Vu won her award on the back of her performances against Manhattan College and Rider University.

The freshman from Allen, Texas notched a career high 27 assists and five kills in the 3-0 victory over Manhattan College. Vu also added one ace in the game.  

Despite losing the game against Rider University 1-3, Vu again reached the 20-assist mark reaching 21 in the four-set match. Vu also chipped in with 11 digs during the two games on Oct. 15 and Oct. 19.

The volleyball team currently sits second in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) regular season standings with a 15-10 overall record and an 11-4 in-conference record. Marist College is tied with the Gaels on the same record with Siena College sitting a game behind with a 10-5 MAAC record.

Edu Calvo-Salinas won his student-athlete of the week award after scoring the game winner in the battle of the two unbeaten teams in the MAAC against Niagara University.

The win against the Purple Eagles helped the Maroon and Gold to second place in the MAAC regular season standings.  

Calvo-Salinas’ goal was his first of the season, which put the graduate student up to three points this season, one goal and two assists in the nine games that he has played in so far.  

The men’s soccer team are currently second in the MAAC regular season standings with a 5-0-4 record and 19 points. Quinnipiac University tops the standings with a 6-1-2 record and 20 points, while Manhattan College is tied with the Gaels with 19 points.

The Gaels remain unbeaten going into their final game of the MAAC regular season against St. Peter’s University on Nov. 2.  

Iona swimming and diving’s’ team captain Isabella Nicholson was named the MAAC student-athlete of the week, announced on Oct. 26.

Nicholson won on the back of her two victories, which helped place the Gaels’ team at home against Long Island University (LIU).

The senior won both the 100 and 200-free with times of 53.27 and 1:55.09 in her team’s 144-118 victory over LIU at the Hynes Athletics Centre Pool.

So far this season, Nicholson is unbeaten in individual events, placing first in every event she has competed in individually in the four in which she has participated.