Iona golf concludes fall season

Photo Courtesy of ionagaels.com

Last season was the first time in five years that the Gaels failed to win the MAAC Tournament.  

Lachlan Wellington, Sports Editor

The Iona men’s golf team ended their fall season at the 2022 Lehigh Invite in Bethlehem, PA.

The team competed in four tournaments during the fall season, beginning their season at the Doc Gimmler, hosted on Long Island at the Bethpage Red course, hosted by St John’s on Sep. 10-11.

Gonzalo Arcelay, William Fleck, Parker Smith, Finnigan Davies and newcomer Zach Baldwin were the five to compete for the Gaels at the Doc Gimmler, as they finished in 13th place and +16 for the tournament.

Zach Baldwin was the top performer for the Gaels at the Doc Gimmler as he finished inside the top fifty.

The Gaels then travelled to the UConn Invite where they finished 11th as a team, posting 941, +77 over par for the three-day event, hosted on Oct. 2-4.

Gonzalo Arcelay was the top performer for the Gaels as he finished tied-33rd for the tournament.

Iona then travelled to Milford, Connecticut for the Sacred Heart Fall Classic, which was played at the Great River golf course, held on Oct. 16-17.

The Gaels finished fourth out of eight teams, shooting 27 over par for the tournament. They jumped up two spots on the final day, as they shot seven strokes less on the second day.

Iona concluded their fall season at the Lehigh Invite, where they finished 11th out of 15 teams that competed on Oct. 21-22.  

As a team, the Gaels shot over 43-par for the entire event which was held on the Grace Course at Saucon Valley Country Club – a par 72 course.

Graduate student Gonzalo Arcelay top performed for the Gaels with 13 pars in a 6-over par 78 final round. The Spanish native was also the Maroon and Gold’s top overall finisher in 25th.

“We were able to play in some great tournaments this season,” junior Finnigan Davies, who hails from Newport, Wales, said. “The boys put out some good performances, and we are happy to have won the UCD Challenge cup in our annual match against University College of Dublin.”

Davies believes that despite the team experiencing some ups and downs this season, they now know what they need to improve upon to be ready for the spring season.  

“We have a strong group of guys, and we are excited to put in the work this off season to try and reclaim the MAAC title,” Davies said.