Restaurant reviews: The diverse options and welcoming atmosphere of The Mirage

Photos by Luis Lopez

The Mirage’s menu is comprised of various foods, stretching from breakfast to dinner.

Luis Lopez, Staff Writer

Restaurants and cafes are two fine types of establishments but combining them creates something even better. The Mirage Restaurant & Café thrives as a combination of a café and a restaurant. It is located at 690 North Avenue and opens at 9 a.m. and closes at 11p.m. every day.  

The Mirage has a lot of breakfast, lunch and dinner options, which makes it a restaurant for anyone to enjoy at any time of the day. Their breakfast options include three egg omelets with home fries, pancakes, waffles and French toast. They serve specialty omelets, like the California omelet, as well as specialty pancakes and French toast like their “Oreo Cookie Pancakes” and their “Cannoli French Toast” respectively. For those who are undecisive on what to eat for breakfast at the restaurant, they offer “The Mirage Big Breakfast” which contains either pancakes or French toast, two eggs any style, two sausage links, two strips of bacon and one piece of ham, and it is a perfect meal to start the day.  

The restaurant also offers a lot of lunch and dinner options. My personal go-to dish for lunch or dinner is any of their paninis. My favorite panini on their menu is “The Godfather Panini.” It’s served on Ciabatta bread with French fries and consists of a chicken cutlet, mozzarella cheese, roasted peppers and balsamic dressing. For an added kick I recommend asking for some buffalo sauce on the side to pair nicely with the panini. For all my vegan peers, they also serve vegetable paninis which are vegan friendly and delicious. Vegetable paninis aren’t the only vegan options offered at The Mirage, they also serve “Pasta Fresca” which without parmesan cheese is vegan and consists of rigatoni pasta with roast eggplant, asparagus, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil, served with soup or house salad.  

The Mirage also offers a plethora of appetizers to choose from. Some noteworthy appetizers include the grand sampler, which is a sampler consisting of chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, buffalo chicken wings and onion rings. As for the café aspect of The Mirage, it is a comfortable welcoming environment where students can enjoy some down time, while enjoying some of the various desserts and pastries offered at the café. The café offers many flavors of cakes, pies, and muffins, and serves lattes and cappuccinos that pair perfectly with their desserts.  For all the self-proclaimed “soup enthusiasts” out there, The Mirage serves delicious “Chicken Matzoh Ball” and “French Onion” soup. The French onion soup is my personal favorite and for those unfamiliar with French onion soup, it is a soup consisting of onions, broth, and melted cheese on the top of the soup, which adds a unique texture.  

The Mirage Restaurant and Café is the perfect place for students to enjoy a good quality meal, or to enjoy a delicious cake or pie with coffee in their down time. This restaurant’s rating is a 4/5.