Restaurant Reviews: The inexpensive and tasty flavors of Mister Taco

Picture courtesy of Luis Lopez 

Mister Taco offers traditional Mexican food in New Rochelle. 

Luis Lopez, Staff Writer

Taco themed restaurants are not uncommon in the city of  New Rochelle, but one that is underrated and deserves more recognition is the Mexican restaurant Mister Taco, located at 619 North Ave. The restaurant has been owned and operated by the same family since 1981 and has been providing customers with delicious food and great service ever since its opening.  

The restaurant focuses on authentic homemade Mexican food oozing with flavor. The restaurants website highlights the fact that their food is far different than any chain restaurant and they strive to preserve the authenticity of Mexican food. Mister Taco can be described as a restaurant that serves flavorful delicious Mexican food for a great price, and quick high-quality service. I’ve been to the restaurant multiple times with friends and family and can say I’ve never had a bad experience dining in or taking out. I’ve eaten many of the dishes offered at the restaurant, but my personal favorite menu item are their burritos, filled with cheese and lettuce and a protein. I usually get ground beef, but I would also suggest chorizo, which is Mexican sausage for those who enjoy a little spice in their burritos.  

The average price of their burritos is about $4, and with the flavor jammed into them, it’s a bargain buying a burrito. Their tacos are also delicious and  average at a price of $3.50 per taco. Their tacos and burritos can contain various meats including fried pork, chicken, Mexican sausage, veal, shrimp and much more. “Mister Taco” also offers a plethora of different platters students can enjoy; some notable ones include their fried steak or grilled chicken platter, which is served with refried beans, yellow rice, salad, avocado, sauteed onions and fried cheese, and will take your tastebuds on an unforgettable flavor-filled journey. For those who enjoy shrimp, the restaurant serves various dishes with shrimp including “Camarones a la diabla” and “Camarones a mojo de ajo” which are shrimp sauteed in diablo sauce and shrimp sauteed in garlic sauce respectively and served with rice, beans and salad. For those who are looking for an interesting dish, the restaurant serves “Menudo” which is a beef tripe soup, that admittedly isn’t too easy on the eyes for some people, but packs a lot of flavor and pairs perfectly with their handmade tortillas. It is perfect on a chilly Sunday morning. Menudo is only served on Sundays, and usually sells out around 2 o’clock so I encourage students to get up bright and early to give the dish a shot, and I assure you that it is worth waking up for. The restaurant also serves some very tasty beverages, like horchata which is a popular Mexican drink made of rice, vanilla, cinnamon and hibiscus tea, which is always very refreshing and enjoyable.  

Mister Taco is a restaurant everyone will enjoy if they give it a shot. This restaurant’s rating is 4.2/5; taco-bout a great restaurant.