Managing time as a student athlete

Kaylin Flukey, Managing Editor

The most frequent question I get asked being a Division I student athlete is “How are you able to manage your time?” The funny thing is, I never know exactly how to answer that question because even in my junior year I am still figuring out new methods. The most important thing to realize is that everyone is different. Certain methods might work for some people but not for others. Also, no one is perfect and there will be assignments that you will miss or a meeting that you will be running late to, but it is all about limiting those things from happening. I am not going to sugarcoat it, being a student athlete is hard and it takes physical and mental toughness to manage all of your responsibilities but in the end it will all be worth it. I am going to share some tips and tricks that I have learned over the past few years, and I hope that it will help at least one person reading this. 

If you are a very visual person like me, having your schedule written out in a planner will make the world of a difference. We are constantly running through lists of what we need to do in our heads which is dangerous because we constantly forget. Imagine how much more helpful it would be to have everything written down and right in front of your face, you can’t miss it. Something that I have found helpful is sitting down at the end of every week and writing out my schedule and everything I need to do for the upcoming week. 

Maintaining a good relationship with your professors is important especially when you have to miss class for competitions. Also, attending office hours and getting notes from other classmates will help you stay up to date. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. The professors are there to help you and they understand that you have a lot on your plate. Never be afraid to ask for help from anyone. 

Taking advantage of off days might sound miserable when all you want to do is lay in bed all day, but it will help immensely. Even if you dedicate an hour or two to get caught up on work, it will make more of a difference than you think. Use this time to look at the week ahead and if there are any assignments that you could complete early, do it, and I promise you will thank me later. 

The final and most important thing is finding time for yourself. If you do not take a little bit of time out of every day for yourself, you will get burned out. Even if it is grabbing your favorite drink at Starbucks or taking a “hot girl walk,” the little things will make a huge difference. At the end of the day your mental health is what matters most and if you are not 100% there it will affect you academically and on the field, court, pool or track.