Iona Lacrosse ends season with best record since 2012

Three+Gaels+earned+All-MAAC+honors+for+their+performances+this+season.++

Photo Courtesy of icgaels.com

Three Gaels earned All-MAAC honors for their performances this season.

Kaylin Flukey, Staff Writer

The Iona College women’s lacrosse team ended the 2022 season with a new program record.  

The Gaels finished the season with an overall record of 9-7 and an in-conference record of 2-6, earning a winning season for the first time since 2012.  

The team’s first win against Long Island University on Feb. 16 tied their total number of wins from the 2021 season. 

The team started the season hot, winning seven of their first eight games including a home-opener win against Central Connecticut University on Feb. 23. The seven-game win streak set a new program record and gave the Gaels momentum heading into conference play. 

The Gaels started conference play with close losses to Siena College, Fairfield University, Canisius College and Monmouth University, but bounced back with wins against Niagara University and Manhattan College.  

The final two losses of the season against Quinnipiac University and Marist College kept the Gaels out of the playoffs. Despite not making it to the postseason, there were numerous program and personal records set. 

The offense showed huge improvement during the 2022 season, scoring a total of 232 goals, which is 107 more goals than they scored in the 2021 season. The team also had a total of 164 draw controls in the 2021 season and achieved a total of 274 draw controls in the 2022 season. 

The Gaels’ offense was led by standout freshman Kira Varada. The midfielder finished the season with a total of 39 goals, 43 ground balls and 21 turnovers. She also set a new program record of 73 draw controls.  

Varada was named Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Rookie of the Week four times and was named the 2022 MAAC Rookie of the Year. The freshman was also named to the All-MAAC Rookie Team along with fellow freshman Carly Linthicum. 

Varada was named to the All-MAAC Second Team along with senior defender Carly Young. 

Junior Captain Emily Stewart finished first on the team with 42 goals. She also accumulated 26 ground balls, 67 draw controls and 25 turnovers. During the season, the midfielder was leading the NCAA in free position percentage at 91.7%.  

Senior captain Gabriele Thornton added to the offense with 23 goals, 15 ground balls and 43 draw controls. The midfielder had a season high of six draw controls at Columbia University on March 15.  

Leah Marshall and Megan Collins were also key contributors to the offense. Collins finished the season with 37 assists and 17 turnovers. Before suffering a season-ending knee injury against the University of New Hampshire on March 19, Marshall had 20 goals and 40 draw controls. 

Even with the Gaels losing eight seniors, they have a young team and hope that the underclassmen can fill the shoes of those graduating. 

This was a turn-around for the Gaels as they will head into the off-season with a winning record, but they still have a lot to work on as they plan to carry the winning momentum into the 2023 season.