Resurrecting the book club era

@lucy_s_books on Instagram 

Literacy is important in every career field, so it’s time to bring old-fashioned reading back in style. 

Tiffany Persaud, Features & Lifestyle Editor

Book clubs seem to be beaten down from reality to cameo scenes on television and in films. Book clubs are glorified reading groups that consist of a group of people who read the same book and discuss it during a meeting. Formal book clubs meet on a regular basis and at a set location, usually at the host’s or member’s home.  

While munching on snacks and sipping tea, the book of the week or month is exposed in a roundtable literary critique. Themes, characters, plots and varied interpretations are indulged in.  

There’s no bad in book clubs. They are a great social activity, especially for the introverts who hide under their book covers. These planned meetings can deepen readers’ appreciation and understanding of a common text, processing opposing or similar perspectives and expanding the reader’s vocabulary. Making new friends can never hurt.  

Boosting teamwork skills is an additional benefit. Teamwork is required in all work and school settings, so learning how to communicate and cooperate with others in a less pressured setting will eventually build your confidence.  

The reading list is based on each book club’s demographic. A book club of boomers would not fancy a teen romance, nor would a book club of teenagers fancy a book about grandchildren. Usually, each club member has a turn in deciding what the next read is. But there are also book clubs dedicated to a particular author or series. 

It is best to start young, which is why elementary teachers make time for reading and discussion. This is a more effective way to keep a young mind’s interest in reading materials as they grow older. But, reading in high school and college is more grade-based than genuine enjoyment-based, hence the dying book, newspaper and magazine culture.  

However, it is never too late to get back in the groove of reading. Groups of friends and students who enjoy reading usually start book clubs. If your friends are boring, then you can check libraries and community centers to see if they run a book club. Independent, local bookstores often run book clubs as well, but beware of any Joe Goldberg’s. A simple Google search is the easiest way to research clubs in your area. 

2022 Popular Book Club Reads:  

• “The Herd” by Emily Edwards  
  • “When We Were Birds” by Ayanna Lloyd Banwo   
  • “A Taste of Power” by Elaine Brown  
  • “Pandora” by Susan Stokes-Chapman  
  • “The Paper Palace” by Miranda Cowley Heller  
  • “Great Circle” by Maggie Shipstead  
  • “Worn: A People’s History of Clothing” by Sofi Thanhauser  
  • “Velorio by Xavier Navarro Aquino