Every day is Valentine’s Day when you’re in love

@marygold.tales on Instagram

Showing someone how much you love and care for them should be daily not annual. 

Tiffany Persaud, Features & Lifestyle Editor

Valentine’s Day continues to be one of the most polarizing holidays year after year. Everyone has their own unique Valentine’s Day experience. Some get to spend the day with their significant other while some prefer to spend the holiday with anyone they love, including friends and family. Then there are those who don’t spend Valentine’s Day with anybody, which can be a dark reality or a blessing depending on how you want to view it.  

The goal for Valentine’s Day has turned into finding someone you can spend the day with. Many people will search for a valentine to spend the day with if they don’t have anyone going into the day.  

However, Valentine’s Day didn’t start off as a romantic, love-y holiday. The day has always served as the feast day for Saint Valentine. It was also named after several Christian martyrs who were also named Valentine. Valentine’s Day can technically be referred to as a Catholic holiday based on its history, although it is now celebrated by whoever wants to celebrate.  

Valentine’s Day has a different meaning for different people. Some people feel as though the day is pointless and is only popular for its mainstream appeal. The history of the holiday was challenged by Madeleine Lorenzen, a senior student who believes the desire for love is what helps companies profit from the holiday. 

“It’s a Hallmark holiday,” Lorenzen said. “Hallmark created the Valentine’s Day we know today in order to get more money.”  

Although it is not entirely true, the thought of Hallmark inventing the holiday isn’t entirely false. Valentine’s Day was celebrated for centuries beginning with the previously mentioned Feast of Saint Valentine. The commercialization of the holiday originated in the United States and can be traced back to the 19th century.  

Hallmark began selling Valentine’s Day postcards in 1910 and then added Valentine’s Day greeting cards in 1913, one year after their greeting card debut in 1912.  

It’s safe to say Hallmark helped bring Valentine’s Day to the commercial forefront with other companies following suit. Not everyone thinks that is necessarily a bad thing, including senior student Connor Vogel, who has his own Valentine’s Day plans. 

“I like Valentine’s Day as I use it as an opportunity to carve out extra time with the person I love the most,” Vogel said. “This year I plan to go on a picnic with my girlfriend, if the weather allows it.”  

A statement many people share the same opinion on is that Valentine’s Day should not be the only reason you treat your significant other extra special. Junior Halle Shapiro believes that everyday should be Valentine’s Day. 

“You should love your loved ones every day,” Shapiro said. “While it’s a cute holiday, it should not be the main time you should look forward to show how much you love your person.” 

Valentine’s Day has conflicted the minds of the public for decades. One year you might hate the holiday, and the next year it can’t come any sooner. Luckily for some (and unfortunately for others) it is the end of the season which means Target will finally get rid of their brigade of pink and red items when you first enter the store.