Greek organizations take pledge against hazing

Mary Conroy, Staff Writer

The sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma and the brothers of Pi Kappa Phi held an event called “These Hands Don’t Haze”  on the Spellman Portico on Sept. 7. 

The annual event is a national pledge to prevent hazing as well as intervene and report hazing if one sees it occurring. Both Greek organizations united to take a pledge against hazing to keep each other accountable for the safety and well-being of all their members.  

This event is a significant tradition for both organizations as it kicks off National Hazing Prevention Week, which encourages sorority and fraternity members to make hazing prevention an everyday activity.  

The curators of this event were the Philanthropic Chairs of Phi Sigma Sigma and Pi Kappa PhiCarlie Brainard and Spencer Boos.  

The event was held following the CDC’s and Iona’s safety guidelinesEach participant was required to have a green Covid-19 badge from the Gael Care App, wear a mask and maintain a social distance.  

In previous years, members of Phi Sigma Sigma and Pi Kappa Phi traced their hands with markers on a poster. To ensure safety this year, hands were made from construction paper prior to the event. Members signed their names on the cutout hands and the event moderators taped them to the poster. The poster was displayed in LaPenta Student Union.  

Carlie Brainard, a senior  and campus minister reflected on the event.  

“These Hands Don’t Haze is an event Phi Sigma Sigma and Pi Kappa Phi host every Fall semester, right before recruitment, Brainard said.  

Brainard emphasized the significance of the event. 

It’s a great way to kick off recruitment on a positive note together and remember the true meaning of sisterhood and brotherhood by taking the pledge against hazing. 

Brainard looks forward to planning and holding more philanthropic events this semester in the safest and healthiest way possible.  

To learn more about These Hands Don’t Haze and the National Hazing Prevention Week, visit https://hazingprevention.org/ or contact [email protected] and [email protected].