Oliver Sanchez explains rowing with stride

Iona senior, Oliver Sanchez, is pushing through these final weeks of the semester both on the water and in the classroom.  

Sanchez, who is from Amenia, N.Y., is a Media and Strategic Communications major with a minor in Environmental Studies. First coming to Iona as a recruit for the men’s rowing team, he has given the sport his all these past four years. 

After getting into rowing in middle school by joining his local team, Sanchez was able to find his new passion that has lasted all this time. Joining the team with one of his friends at the time, he enjoyed the two-week training camp that taught him the ropes of the sport. From there, he got to compete in races and has stayed with the sport ever since.  

Having gained many achievements in the sport over the years, Sanchez’s favorite memory was finishing in sixth place at the Head of the Charles Regatta in a four-boat. 

“Head of the Charles is one of the biggest races in rowing and I’ve never really had a boat place that high in it,” Sanchez said. “Being able to end last season with a sixth-place finish was a big deal.” 

One of the biggest lessons he has learned from rowing has been to always put the team first no matter what. Being a team player is what puts the team on top. Even if you are having an off day, he notes the importance of being able to push through the obstacles and do well for the overall benefit of his team. 

As a senior, Sanchez will miss the competitive atmosphere of being on a team like rowing. Being on the rowing team, you get close to your teammates quickly whether it be from the early morning practices, steady state, lift sessions or races, you get to bond with those around you. Everyone is competitive and pushes each other to get the best time possible. 

“There is something really special about having to push yourself every day with a great group of people,” Sanchez said. “I don’t think I will ever find a place like this again.” 

After graduating next month, Sanchez is closing the rowing chapter of his life after competing for 12 years. Heading off to northern Canada to guide canoe trips, he hopes to potentially continue that path in either Vermont or New Hampshire later in his life.