The Tortured Poets Department review

Pop star Taylor Swift has released her 11th studio album, The Tortured Poets Department. After announcing the new album in February 2024, the new album is a double album with 31 songs.  

Having dropped on April 19, 2024, the album has already begun breaking records. According to Spotify, TTPD has become the first album in history to break 300 million streams in a single day. Being one of the most anticipated album releases, it is no surprise that the album has had the success it has. 

The double album drop was a shock to fans who anticipated only getting one album, but instead were surprised with The Tortured Poets Department: The Anthology, which included all 31 songs. Swift is notorious for having easter eggs regarding her songs and new albums. Fans speculated that Swift had something in store for them, as she had been throwing up two fingers for a while before dropping the album, which fans now understand signifies the album would be a double album. 

Having listened to some of the songs myself, I think the album does a good job of portraying the emotions of being in love and how quickly things can change. Swift can write lyrics that all people can relate to in some way. That is the beauty of music, it has a way of affecting everyone in separate ways. 

One of my favorite songs from the album is “The Prophecy” which deals with Swift questioning what she could have done to make things end differently. Talking about the heartbreak of relationships, the lyrics portray the desire to be chosen and wanted, which can be relatable for many people.  

The album, which includes two famous features, started a lot of talk about the songs and how cool the collaborations were to have been included on the album. Post Malone had a feature on the song, “Fortnight,” which was the lead single on the album. Florence & The Machine, who are a popular rock band, are featured on the song, “Florida!!!,” which has gained a lot of popularity from both fanbases. 

Regardless of what critics may say about Taylor Swift, there is no question about her talent and the impact of her music on the industry. Her ability to break records and bring in a massive fan base is something that will be talked about for years. Swift’s legacy will live on even after she stops producing music.