75° New Rochelle, NY
The Student News Site of Iona University

The Ionian

The Ionian

The Ionian

G.I.V.E. Grant Column: Exploring what consent means during Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Photo by Chyanne Blakey. The G.I.V.E. Grant What Were You Wearing? event was a powerful refutation of the victim blaming myth that clothing somehow invites sexual assault.
Photo by Chyanne Blakey. The G.I.V.E. Grant “What Were You Wearing?” event was a powerful refutation of the victim blaming myth that clothing somehow invites sexual assault.

The G.I.V.E. (Gael Interpersonal Violence Education) Grant program had great programs last week to promote Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)! Tuesday, April 8 was the second SAAM information table that focused on consent.  

Do you know how to get consent? Here are some of the essential messages and information shared with students: 

What is consent? 

When someone gives consent, they are giving permission for something to happen or agreeing to do something. This means the person needs to know specifically what they will agree to, so make sure what you are asking is clear. For example, “Do you want to mess around for a while? Like cuddling and making out, but not having sex?” 

When and how to ask for consent. 

Always ask for consent before you begin any sexual activity, including but not limited to kissing, cuddling, and any kind of sex – even if your partner consented in the past. Ask for consent in a manner that explicitly makes it acceptable if the other person says “no”. Otherwise, you may be pressuring the other person into doing something against their will. 

What is not consent?  

Your partner may not outright tell you “no”, but that does not mean they are saying “yes”. If someone says uncertain or incomplete responses like nothing, “um… I guess”, or an unsure “yes”, the person is likely communicating that they do not want to participate in the thing you are asking about. In these cases, there is no clear consent given. Check in with your partner about how they are feeling or suggest another activity. For example, “You seem unsure, so why don’t we just watch TV tonight?” 

Why consent matters. 

Having an open and honest conversation about what your partners wants to engage in ensures that sex is consensual and more enjoyable. You will feel more confident about what you are doing, and your partner will feel more comfortable being close to you. Clear consent is rooted in honesty between partners, so talk before you act! 

Beyond information tables, the G.I.V.E. Grant hosted their annual event “What Were You Wearing?” on the Murphy Green this year. Many students were able to read firsthand what a survivor was wearing at the time of their assault. By understanding the apparent randomness in what survivors were wearing at the time of their assault, the G.I.V.E. Grant demonstrated the harmful falsehood of the victim blaming myth that clothing somehow invites sexual assault. 

Despite all the exciting events that have already happened, the G.I.V.E. Grant still has more events planned for the rest of Sexual Assault Awareness Month! Here’s an overview of the upcoming events: 

Event: Cover the Cruiser – USE YOUR VOICE!  

Date and Time: Monday, Apr. 22 to Friday, Apr. 26 during activity hour. 

Location: Hynes Lot 

Campus Safety shared one of their vehicles so students and members of the community could post on a note how they pledge to use their voice and standup against Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Candy bags and other goodies will be distributed to those who take the pledge, so don’t miss out! 

Event: “Supporting Survivors” Information Table 

Date and Time: Tuesday, Apr. 16 from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. 

Location: LaPenta Student Union First Floor Lobby 

Join the G.I.V.E. Grant for resources and other information on how to support survivors of sexual assault and relationship violence. The table theme will be “Know your resources, both on campus and off campus”. 

Event: “Let’s get ready for Demin Day and are you ready to make a commitment?” Information Table 

Date and Time: Tuesday, Apr. 23 from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. 

Sexual Assault Awareness Month is a time to draw attention to the prevalence of sexual assault and educate individuals and communities about how to prevent it. By signing the SAAM Proclamation, the Iona community joins advocates and communities across the country to prevent sexual violence. The theme for this table will be “Why wear denim? Let us act by signing the Proclamation.” 

Event: National Denim Day Information Table 

Date and Time: Wednesday, Apr. 24 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. 

Location: Murphy Green 

Apr. 24 is National Denim Day. Wear denim as a sign of solidarity to support survivors of sexual assault. The theme of the table will be “What is Denim Day all about?” Denim Day is a global call to action for all people to come together by wearing denim as a visible sign of protest against sexual violence. Wear denim and join millions of people across the world to support survivors and learn about all forms of sexual violence.   

Event: The 3rd Annual Walk-a-Mile in Her Shoes 

Date and Time: Friday, Apr. 26 from 12 to 1 p.m. 

Location: Spellman Hall Portico (Front of Spellman Hall) 

The 3rd Annual Walk-a-Mile in Her Shoes will be hosted by the Council for Greek Governance (CCG) and G.I.V.E. Grant. 

Since 2001, men, women and families around the world have participated in Walk a Mile in Her Shoes: The International Men’s March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault & Gender Violence. It is a momentous opportunity for Iona to raise awareness about the serious causes, effects, and remediations to men’s sexualized violence.