Outside Iona Sports: Apr. 18

Photo+by+Mike+Stewart+%28AP+Photo%29.+Kirk+Cousins+speaks+to+the+media+during+his+introductory+Falcons+press+conference.+
Photo by Mike Stewart (AP Photo). Kirk Cousins speaks to the media during his introductory Falcons press conference.

2024 MLB Season Underway 

The 2024 MLB season is off and running. Multiple teams are off to a great start, including the Yankees, Pirates, Brewers and the Guardians. Some teams, however, are starting out extremely slow including the White Sox, Marlins and Rockies. Since the season has started, more free agents are coming off the board. J.D. Martinez signed a deal with the New York Mets, Jordan Montgomery signed with the Diamondbacks, and Tommy Pham just agreed to a pact with the White Sox as they try to rescue their 2024 season. Going to the National League East, the Braves have the division already in their grasp despite losing a series to the Mets. The Mets, after starting at a terrible 0-5 record, have turned things around lately winning 7 out of their last 10 and improving their record to 7-8. Besides the White Sox, the Marlins have been off to the worst start to the season. After losing 9 straight games to start the year, they are now 3-13 and are clearly the worst team in the National League. Finally, the best team in baseball right now, the New York Yankees, continue to tear up the league with a baseball-best 12 wins. It is still early in the baseball season, but it will be exciting to see how these standings turn out at the end of the year.  

Information from MLB.com and ESPN.

NFL free agency marks start of offseason 

Now that a few months have passed since the Super Bowl, the NFL offseason is well underway, with free agency and trades permeating the early spring. For one thing, several quarterbacks found new homes, including Kirk Cousins, who went to the Falcons on a four-year, $180 million contract, and Justin Fields, a former first rounder, signing with the Steelers. Russell Wilson also latched on with the Steelers, making for an interesting quarterback room. Former Pro Bowler Haason Reddick, who was on the trade block, was officially acquired by the New York Jets in late-March. Stefon Diggs also got traded, heading to a young Texans squad. The Bills ended up cutting Tre’Davious White, who then was signed to a one year, “prove it” deal with the Rams. The Packers shored up their roster with Josh Jacobs and Xavier McKinney, though veteran Aaron Jones latched on with the rival Vikings. Several free agents, like Justin Simmons and Odell Beckham Jr., remain, which could make for big signings as we approach May.  

Information from NFL.com.

March Madness wraps up, leads to NCAA offseason 

The 2024 NCAA Division I men and women’s basketball tournaments concluded after championship games from April 7-8. For the men’s side of things, Zach Edey from the Purdue Boilermakers was the tournament’s leading scorer, posting 177 points. His team lost, however, to the UConn Huskies in the final game. The winning coach, Dan Hurley, secured his second title with the victory, as he last won in 2023. Caitlin Clark was the top story on the women’s end, averaging 31.8 points per game in the tournament and leading her Iowa Hawkeyes to the title game. The Hawkeyes couldn’t overcome a strong offensive output from the South Carolina Gamecocks, though, who won their third championship in an 87-75 affair.  

Information from ESPN.