The ultimate college guide to planning this year’s spring break

Katherine Conner, Staff Writer

As the cold melts away, and winter break seems further behind than ever, students are turning their focus to spring break. Studying abroad or a week spent somewhere tropical are great options for some, but if you don’t save far enough in advance it can really break the bank.  While some students may find a week of doing nothing the perfect way to wind down, others will find themselves with no plans. Spring break may be just around the corner, but that doesn’t mean it has to be spent at home! We have some great ways to have fun this break without scraping the bottom of your change jar.

1. Couch Crasher

While it doesn’t exactly resemble the stereotypical spring break, consider crashing with family or friends for a few days. Staying with someone, even if they’re just an hour or two away, can give the feeling of a getaway without the expensive hotel bill. The thing about college is that your spring break doesn’t always line up with your friend’s, which means that they might be more than happy to have you stay with them for a weekend. Take a “tour” of your friends’ schools, going to one after the other throughout the week. It’s always interesting to see what other schools are like!

If your friend or family is in a city like Boston, Philadelphia or Washington, D.C., they won’t feel pressured to take off of work, as there is plenty to do in the area. Amtrak is never a bad option, but companies like Megabus can often get you to your destination even cheaper. If you don’t have family or friends to stay with, consider grabbing a friend and planning an overnight somewhere! You can get two full days out of your usual area and only pay one night of a hotel or Airbnb. Some hotels even offer students rates or discounts, so keep an eye out for the lower prices!

1. Day Trips

If going to stay somewhere else is still more expensive than you would have hoped, day trips provide for a great stay-cation. For the outdoorsy types, consider taking a day to hike at Bear Mountain! The scenery is gorgeous and it’s less than an hour drive up the I-287. A bit further north, about an hour west of Albany, is Howe Caverns. The caves house gorgeous stalactites and stalagmites, and it’s a great way to spend the day if you’re willing to do a bit more of a drive.

If you want to stay more local, spend a few hours at Untermeyer Garden in Yonkers. When in bloom, the free park offers a huge and stunning walk. Even now, as the first plants begin to bloom, the slightly hidden garden has gorgeous walks and architecture.

If you have the money for a Metro North ticket, take advantage of the city! On a nice day, head to Central Park. Even if you’ve been before, the park is huge – explore a new area! You’re bound to find something you haven’t seen before.

With the easy accessibility we have to Manhattan, we often overlook the fantastic museums. If you went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the American Natural History Museum frequently as a kid, go back! You are probably going to appreciate things differently this time around, and admission is free. If you want something new, there are dozens of smaller or niche museums with free or cheap admission.

The Museum of the City of New York on Fifth Avenue switches its exhibits frequently, so if you’ve been before you’ll definitely see something new. If you’re interested in history, you could check out the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side. Additionally, The Museum of the Moving Image offers an array of exhibits on new media.  There are also many smaller cultural museums, including The Museum of Chinese in America and El Museo del Barrio.

1. Night Out

Lastly, if you’re working and looking for shorter escapes than those listed above, organize a night out! Get in touch with your inner Van Gogh with a paint and sip, or exercise your brain with a trivia night. Get a group of friends together and do an activity you normally wouldn’t, even if it’s just bowling. If you’re looking for something to do by yourself, look into the Alamo Drafthouse or the Jacob Burns Film Center in Pleasantville for a retro movie screening!

Spring break on a budget doesn’t have to bring you down. There are plenty of ways to treat it as a break and do something you normally wouldn’t without draining your funds! Plus, who knows? Saving some money this year may be just the thing for that tropical getaway or study abroad trip next year!