Men’s and women’s soccer have mixed results

Sandy HunterStaff Writer

The Iona Women’s soccer has recorded mixed results in their last two games. The Gaels won 1-0 in Binghamton on a goal from senior Ali Werner. 

The goal was Werner’s first of the season, and the fifth of her career.  With the win, the second of their season, the Gaels ended a four-game losing streak.  Iona freshman Carly Haden had the assist on Werner’s goal, and freshman Trista Rivera earned her second shut-out of the season.

Rivera made nine saves against Binghamton, the most of her college career to date. Following their win at Binghamton, the Iona Women’s soccer team took on Long Island at home; the Gaels suffered a 3-0 loss against the local opposition.

Iona Women’s soccer continues their season Oct. 1 at home against Fairfield in their first conference game.

The past week has also offered mixed results for the Iona Men’s Soccer team.  On Sept. 17, the Gaels traveled to South Carolina to participate in the Adidas Gamecock Classic tournament.

With three of the country’s best teams participating along with the Gaels, a firm test was guaranteed. 

The Gaels started the weekend with a contest against host South Carolina. The Gaels tied the contest 2-2, with goals from seniors Shane Jeffery and Roberto Hernandez-Raaen. Hernandez-Raaen scored on a penalty kick in his first career attempt. Despite two overtime periods being played, the game ended in a draw.

Following their stalemate against South Carolina, the Gaels took on Kentucky. The highly ranked opponent proved a tough test for the Gaels; however, Iona came away with a 2-1 overtime win. 

The Gaels benefited from a Kentucky own goal, tying the game and forcing extra time. Early in the first overtime period, sophomore Doug Stephens scored his third goal of the season, winning the game for the Gaels. Stephens’ goal was assisted by junior captain Adam Rohan. Jesse Fullerton earned the win in goal. Both Stephens and Fullerton were named to the all tournament team, as well as senior Julian Grajales, who was named tournament defensive MVP.

Upon completing their road trip, the Gaels took on opponents Sacred Heart at home. Despite leading 25-11 in shots and 6-2 in corner kicks, the Gaels conceded the contest 2-1. The lone Iona goal was scored by sophomore Douglas Stephens, assisted by senior Mario Rios.

The Gaels begin conference play with an extended road trip, taking on Niagara and Canisius, before returning to New Rochelle for games on Oct. 15 and 17, against Marist and Siena.