Iona Scholars Day spotlights undergraduate scholarship

The 9th Annual Iona Scholars Day was held on April 12 at various locations across campus.

Iona Scholars Day showcases faculty-mentored student scholarship and creative endeavors. Students in all disciplines presented their work in oral presentations, panel sessions, performances and poster presentations, according to the college’s website.

Panels were presented in Spellman Hall—in the Faculty Reception Room—and in the LaPenta End Zone. Fine Arts presentations were performed on the Spellman Portico, the Quad and in the Arts Center. Poster presentations were shown in Mulcahy Gymnasium.

Thomas Ruggio, an assistant professor in the Fine and Performing Arts Department, spoke about his role in engaging his art students in Iona Scholars Day.

“I invite all of my advanced students/Visual Arts minors to participate in Scholar’s Day, because this represents additional work and commitment,” Ruggio said in an email interview. “The importance of showcasing Visual Arts projects is just as important as presenting the other academic disciplines on Scholar’s Day, but I believe that we have a great opportunity to add something unique and exciting because of the nature of our discipline.”

Ruggio detailed the impact of having arts students present their scholarship.

“The research includes following in the footsteps of a master painter, a practice that goes back centuries,” Ruggio said. “I think the painting process is certainly dynamic and interesting enough to be included as part of the presentation.”

Senior Brian Rubino, an Environmental Studies major and Visual Arts minor, presented artwork in the Fine Arts Department with Ruggio. Rubino also researched and presented a poster with data he gathered with Dr. Christina Andruk, a clinical lecturer in the Biology Department.

“I think [Iona Scholars Day] is a fantastic opportunity for those in math and science to showcase their work to the greater student body,” Rubino said in an email interview. “Sometimes these disciplines can seem a bit opaque to outsiders, and an event like ISD shows that any field of study can be fun and rewarding when pursued with passion. It’s not often that we students get to present our ideas and hard work outside of the classroom!”

Iona Scholars Day emphasized student research at the undergraduate level, which Rubino considered to be an important part of the Iona Scholars Day process.

“The research, analysis, and presentation process is vital to any career,” Rubino said.

Ruggio also thinks that the students who present at Iona Scholars Day show a special level of dedication to their studies.

“Scholar’s Day is that much more impressive because participation is voluntary,” Ruggio said. “Besides being an academic achievement, this also represents the incredible dedication and strong character of our students here at Iona. It’s really a privilege to be a part of such a special day.”