Iona announces commencement speakers

Note: The print and previous online version did not identify May 19 as a Saturday. It incorrectly stated it as a Sunday. The online version has been updated with a print correction to appear in the next issue.

Nancy Lublin and Kate Snow will be the undergraduate and graduate commencement speakers this year, respectively, according to a “Campus Communique” email and two press releases from the college.

Both ceremonies will take place on Saturday, May 19. The undergraduate commencement ceremony will take place at 11 a.m., and the graduate ceremony will take place at 3:30 p.m.

Nancy Lublin created the Crisis Text Line in 2013. Through the service, people that face mental health issues can be referred to volunteers equipped to deal with various situations, and from there they can refer the client to a long-term solution like therapy, according to the email. She was also named one of Fortune’s “World’s 50 Greatest Leaders” in 2014.

Snow is the anchor of “NBC Nightly News” on Sundays and an award-winning senior national correspondent for NBC News, according to the email sent out by the school. She also works with other NBC and MSNBC platforms, such as the shows “NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt,” “TODAY,” “Dateline NBC” and NBC’s Sunday magazine show, “Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly.” She also anchored a weekday news program on MSNBC from 2015 to 2017.

“I’m excited to hear what the speaker has to say and how she will deliver her message to inspire us, and because Snow is so well versed in broadcasting, her talk will be beneficial to people who are interested in a similar career path,” senior Joshua Miller said. “Hopefully she’ll be able to take her knowledge and apply it to make it relevant to other majors.”

Many students expressed their thoughts about the speakers.

“It is an honor to have Nancy Lublin,” Student Government Association President and senior Erin Kutch said. “She embodies Iona’s mission and its commitment to service.”

Senior Alessandra Crimi appreciates Lublin’s work on a deeper level.

“As a social worker, seeing the work and outreach she has done is truly inspiring,” Crimi said. “Her work combines modern technology with a social problem that is desperately lacking in resources. She has made getting help accessible, which is so important in this time of unrest. I’m very excited to hear her speak at commencement.”

Graduate student Christopher Kash thinks it is exciting that Snow is speaking.

“Her passion to bring the truth to light and help enlighten others is a core value that I have found among Iona students and am glad to be shared as our graduate speaker,” Kash said.

Fellow graduate student Felushah Badio is also excited to see Snow address his graduating class.

“I hope my fellow graduate classmates and I can gain insight from her experiences and apply them in our future endeavors,” Badio said.

Kimberly Mulder, also a graduate student, believes that Snow is an accurate reflection of what Iona stands for.

“I’m excited and honored for NBC News anchor and correspondent Kate Snow to be our class’ keynote speaker,” Mulder said. “I believe she is a great example to follow because [she] embodies Iona and its mission through her strong work ethic and charitable works.”

The ceremonies will be the end of a series of send-off events which starts with the Commencement Fair, Multi-Cultural Recognition Ceremony, Senior Formal, Senior Toast, Honors Convocation and the Baccalaureate Mass.

Previous commencement ceremonies have included speakers like James P. Hynes in 2017, Timothy Cardinal Dolan in 2014, Abigail E. Disney in 2010 and Edward M. Egan in 2005.