The struggles, joys of being a student leader at Iona

Anna Maffucci Editor-in-Chief

This is it.

This is the moment I have been thinking about all year — writing my Iona experience in less than 600 words. It’s hard knowing that the time at a place you love so much is coming to an end, and putting that into words is hard. Where do I begin?

I stepped onto this campus in August of 2014 with my new friend, Gen, and began to get used to the Gael Express and college life. I wrote for The Ionian, but didn’t attend meetings. When I got a car my sophomore year, I began to attend these meetings and meet the people behind the issues I contributed to.

From then on, it all moved fast. I was asked to be Assistant Features Editor, Associate Editor and, of course, Editor-in-Chief. I didn’t expect any of this, and transitioning into a leader was one of the hardest things I have ever gone through.

Finding the voice in myself to lead a large organization, produce a 16-page newspaper and maintaining two part-time jobs was a lot. I went through major anxiety attacks, large emotional events and other stresses. I don’t want you to feel bad for me, but know that I tried.

These events have taught me how to become a true leader. I might not be the “perfect” leader. I like to play things safe sometimes, but I have been pushing myself more and facing my fears. I am grateful for those who have helped me do this.

I am grateful. I am happy to have been Editor-in-Chief this past year. To have spent my 4 years at Iona with the BEST organization on campus is an honor — running it is another honor as well.

I sit here with more than 70 Ionian articles under my belt, my Ionian t-shirt on, a vanilla latte in my hand and just won a G.A.E.L. Legacy award for — which I didn’t expect. I’m working on my last deadline night ever at this moment. It hasn’t hit me yet.

I wouldn’t be who I am without the support and love from the following people:

Mom, Dad, Grace, James and my boyfriend Michael — thank you for supporting me and being a shoulder to cry on. Your endless support and encouragement kept me going this year.

To my Papa — thank you for always reading The Ionian and looking for my articles. And to my grandmothers and grandfather in heaven — thank you for watching over me and hearing my prayers.

To Prof. Bard, thank you for always responding to my anxiety-ridden emails and being a constant support. The Ionian is truly lucky to have you.

To Maria Haber, Jason Rodriquez, Elizabeth Olivieri-Lenahan and Jumanah Escalera and all of OSD- thank you for having our backs and helping us have this year run smoothly.

To my e-board, I will miss you the most. I am so proud of all that we have accomplished. I’ll miss our hilarious conversations at our meetings, crazy deadline nights and our group chat. I’ll be right here for you. Dana, you are going to do an excellent job next year.

I leave Iona with fantastic memories. It wasn’t always easy, but I am really proud of myself, which is something I don’t say often. You should all be proud.

I’ll miss the friendly faces I see on campus everyday. I’ll miss you, Iona. But I’m not going anywhere. In fact, you’ll probably find me at homecoming with my dog, Gromit, next semester.

Thanks, Iona. See you soon.

To contact The Ionian’s Anna Maffucci, email her at [email protected].