Fifth annual Relay for Life at Iona raises over $91,000

Luminaries were decorated by students to honor people they’ve known who have fought cancer.

Abigail Rapillo News Editor

Colleges Against Cancer hosted the annual college-wide Relay for Life on April 21 in the Hynes Athletic Center. All the money raised for the event went to the American Cancer Society, which helps fund research, support for patients and other things related to help those diagnosed with any type of cancer.

The theme of this year’s Relay was “Passport for a Cure” and each club or organization that participated was given a country to inspire their decorating. Clubs and Greek Life organizations sponsored tables around the inside of the track, selling anything from food to nail painting to canvases.

Senior Amanda Cifelli, the undergraduate peer advisor for CAC, said there was concern with the execution of the theme.

“It was a struggle with the theme,” she said. “We want to respect all cultures, but we felt our students were respectful enough to move forward with it.”

Various survivors with connections to Iona attended the event and took the first lap of the relay. Caretakers then walked the second lap with the survivors, and finally the rest of the people present at the event began to walk. Each group had to have at least one person walking for them throughout the whole twelve hours.

Sophomore Madeline Ronga said that Relay is important because it shows that cancer plays a role in everyone’s lives.

“Cancer affects us all in some way, shape or form,” Ronga said. “No matter what organization you’re here for, it is important to come together.”

The CAC executive board members have been meeting since the beginning of fall semester to prepare for this year’s Relay. They arrived at the gym at noon on the day of the event to set up and stayed late the next day to clean up, according to sophomore Alison Kuppelmeyer, the Greek Life Chair for the executive board.

Every Greek Life organization was present at Relay for Life.

“A lot of the reason why they are so involved is because so many of them have been affected by cancer and Greek Life is such a big part of student life so we want them all here walking for this great cause,” Kupplemeyer said.

Junior and Brother of Pi Kappa Phi Malik Henry said that his grandfather died from colon cancer before he was born.

“Cancer never sleeps and nor should we,” Henry said. “I’m committed to being here to fight the good fight.”

Junior Gabriella Archbold, the Relay for Life Chair for CAC whose role is to educate the college about the American Cancer Society, has been to over 40 Relays in her life, the first one being when she was 12.

“The year my dad passed away, my aunt had it in her town and invited us to see it,” she said of her first Relay. “It affects everyone. Whether it’s happening now, or it will happen in the future, cancer will be a part of your life.”

Senior Jose Garcia, relaying for the Gaels Activity Board table, gave his reason for participating.

“I think that it spreads awareness and it helps bring the community together too, for what’s worthy,” Garcia said. “This is our way to show support to anyone in the Iona community who is going through this.”

Relay for Life raised over $91,000 to donate to the American Cancer Society.