SGA Updates

Dana Ruby Editor-in-Chief

Feb. 8 Meeting

President Dr. Joseph E. Nyre came to the meeting to speak about recent concerns and answer questions. He spoke about his sabbatical and how he missed being on campus.

Nyre also said that the College’s Board of Trustees is putting together the next five-year plan, as the most recent one is expiring soon – it was made before the current senior class was here. He said that the board laid out key themes, including recruiting, retaining and developing faculty talent for students and elevating academic distinction.

He also spoke briefly about the recent New Rochelle High School incidents on North Ave. He said that he spoke with the city manager about safety concerns, and that NRHS is a closed campus now – a student can only leave under special circumstances. Nyre also said that he thanked the NRPD for increased after-school presence, but asked to have it increased later in the evening as well, because students are on campus later and/or live in the area. He ended by saying that New Rochelle is one of the safest cities according to recent data, but it doesn’t lessen the severity of the recent incidents.

Senior Brian Rubino, president of IC Green, asked if sustainability could be included in the new strategic plan.

Senior LeAnn Renda, a senior senator, asked about plans to better the New Rochelle community’s relationship with the college. Nyre commended Dr. Michele Sampson-Nelson, director of off-campus and commuter services, for leading off-campus communications and meeting with the community. He also addressed some myths regarding school expansion. He said that some think that the school has plans to tear down homes to put up more buildings – this is not true, he said. There is no “secret plan” to build across New Rochelle, and he said that this idea brings tension. He said that the College is working on ways to be more upfront, and that the relations will improve over time.

Junior Joey Cervetto, president of Gael Pride, asked about having a more integrated diversity portion in the new plan. Nyre said that the last plan put diversity front and center, and that the college is struggling to diversify the faculty and administration.

Senior Tyreke Israel, president of the Black Student Union, said that the parking issue has become a problem for both residential and commuter students. He said that students are getting tickets from both Iona and the city.

Students brought up concerns in the new business section. One of the main concerns regarded icy conditions on campus. Multiple students mentioned that the grounds around campus, specifically the walkway leading up to the Murphy Center, were not salted enough and they fell on their way into the building.

Feb. 15 Meeting

Adrian Navarrete, director of campus safety, said that vehicles on campus that are not authorized to park will be booted. These vehicles include ones without a permit and ones parked in reserved spots, Navarrete said in an email. He also said that vehicles with four or more outstanding parking summonses will also be booted. The fee is $15 dollars plus the cost of the parking ticket. He also said in the email that they’re doing it in an effort to take better control of the vehicles that come onto campus and that no exact date has been set yet, but he hopes to have it begin in March.

Rick Cole Jr., vice president for athletic administration, and EJ Ferraro, assistant athletic director/campus recreation, spoke to address some concerns over the gym facilities in Hynes gymnasium.

Cole said that the cardio machines were being replaced with brand new machines. He also said that Ferraro and his team check the machines each day.

Senior Elinor Nelson, president of the Society of Professional Journalists, asked if there could be more black mats provided for stretching. Junior Kelly Farrell asked about getting kettlebells for the gym. Cole said that they would look into both.

A few students mentioned the cleanliness of the gyms as an issue. Cole said that they are working on the whole building’s cleanlieness.

Junior Rebecca Lundgren, co-captain of the dance team, said that the Hegarty Room—the room in which her team practices—is often messy after events such as the blood drive. She said that there have been incidents in which there would be substances that she said was blood on the floor from the drives. Cole said that should never happen and to make sure to let someone know as soon as possible when that happens.

Senior Chris Armetta, president of the Karate Club, said that he uses that room too and has found broken glass on the floor in the room as well.

Senior Ivelisse Jalil said that she knew some students who were concerned about emergency protocols, specifically in an active shooter situations, in regards to the recent Florida school shooting. Elizabeth Oliveri-Lenahan, assistant vice provost for student life, said that campus safety and security does have plans in place to those situations, and that the officers are certified and trained.

Senior Rob McHugh, senior senator, asked about possibly getting more seating space in Starbucks.

Farrell brought updates from the dining committee. She said that they are looking into an app that students can check meal card balances on.

SGA President senior Erin Kutch said that the academic committee discussed how there were two plagiarism sections in course catalogues, which contradict each other, and that the business school didn’t have a plagiarism policy on the syllabuses.

Senior Jillian Venditti, president of WICR, said that there are slots open for students to hold radio shows, and to contact her or [email protected] for more information.

SGA meetings are held on Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. in the McGrath room on the second floor of the LaPenta Student Union. All students are welcome.