Iona in Mission adds new mission trip to Puerto Rico for the spring

Julia Fabrizio Staff Writer

Iona in Mission has scheduled a new immersion trip to Puerto Rico to take place next spring from March 15 to 23.

The goal of the newest trip is to bring more attention to the various issues that are happening in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, according to senior Samantha Ortiz, who is leading the trip.

Iona in Mission estimated the cost to be between $800 and $900, but IIM offers financial aid and has many fundraising opportunities.

“We offer financial support for trips because we do not want the cost to be the reason someone doesn’t apply,” Faith Krefft, assistant director of service and immersion for IIM, said in an email.

Krefft thinks that this new mission trip will provide an opportunity for students to learn about the island.

“Adding an immersion trip to Puerto Rico is necessary for many reasons,” Krefft said. “After the devastating Hurricane Maria made landfall last year, there was inaccurate information being shared about what was really happening on the island. Providing students [with] this experience will allow them to see, hear and really learn about the island. Puerto Rico has a rich history not many people are aware of, and with the help of the trip leader Sam Ortiz ‘19, and Dr. Delgado, the trip’s moderator, they hope to give each participant the opportunity to hear stories from the locals and learn more about how they have been affected by the hurricane.”

Ortiz also believes that this mission trip will help educate students about Puerto Rico and how it was impacted by Hurricane Maria.

“I think students should sign up for the trip, because it’s very timely […] and a lot of students can identify with the Puerto Rico trip,” Ortiz said. “I think it’d be really important for students to learn firsthand from the locals and experience firsthand what’s going on.”

Students have been responsive about the new trip and are excited about the opportunity.

“I’m interested in the trip mainly because I am Puerto Rican and my entire family lives there,” sophomore Ciara Serpa said. “Even though I visit often and try to help out economically, there aren’t a lot of opportunities to help out in a hands-on way. It’s really difficult for me to see the changes that have happened to the island, but I also know we are resilient people and will always do what we can to rebuild and preserve our culture.”

Freshman Zaria Brons-Bailey is interested in applying for this mission trip because she thinks it offers something different from IIM’s other mission trips.

“I was advised to get involved with Iona in Mission since I started to visit the college, but I didn’t feel that the international trips encompassed themes that I was interested in,” Brons-Bailey said. “The new Puerto Rico trip had all the themes that I could ask for in a mission trip.”

Iona in Mission offers 18 service trip opportunities throughout the year, each of which are centered on a specific social justice theme.

“Students should sign up for a trip because it’s a great way to meet new students they may not ordinarily interact with on campus, they become a part of the Iona in Mission community and they have the chance to learn and experience a new culture firsthand,” Krefft said.

The deadline to apply for the Puerto Rico mission trip is Oct. 28, and students who are interested can apply at www.iona.edu/IonainMissionApp.