Student Spotlight: Ashley Blake

Maria Desir Contributing Writer

You might mistake her as a resident. However, Ashley Blake is a commuter who is on campus all the time due to her active involvement at Iona.

Nickname: Busy Bee Blake: She “loves being busy.” In her world, not working is boring.

Year: Sophomore

Major: Psychology

Minor: Neuroscience with a biology track

On-campus Involvement: MOSAIC peer mentor, CSTEP member, Leader for the Iona in Mission trip to Chicago, Commuter Assistant, Orientation Leader

What makes Iona College stand out to you as a college?

“I love that they [the members of the Iona community] push you to get involved. I cannot imagine myself at a place that is not Iona. Coming here made me get so involved, opened me up to so many opportunities and it has changed my character completely. Iona has taken me to places to where I never thought I would go. I felt that if I was going to another school that wasn’t as involved in mission or giving back, I feel like I wouldn’t be the person that I am today. I probably would just go to school and go home not having a good college career or experience.”

What do you do outside of college?

“I work three other jobs. I hang out with my family because they mean a lot to me. I also need to learn how to rest, so I do try to have days when I just sleep in.”

Where is your favorite place to hang out on campus?

“The game room and LaPenta couches in front of the commuter lounge.”

What would you tell your freshman self?

“You got this. Focus on classes, try harder to study, and ask for help. Don’t wait.”

What tips would you give to all college freshmen?

“Get involved. Once you get involved during your freshman year, you’re automatically always going to be involved on campus. The later you get involved, the less time you have to participate. Make sure you have fun, but school does come first. Play hard, work harder. You should always work twice as hard as you play. Lastly, don’t let anything else change you, but you [should] change things.”

What do you plan to do after college?

“Go to medical school and hopefully become an emergency room physician or a neurologist.”

What does our school slogan “Move the World” mean to you?

“Personally, it means to move your own world, change your own world and be your own world. For the community, advocate for your community. Be that glue to hold your community together. It also means that when you see wrong, you’re able to address it. Finally, in terms of family, be that person to change your family’s legacy and graduate, if you are a first-generation college student. Even if your family did go to college, change their world by doing something different.”

Have a recommendation for Student Spotlight? Contact Features and Lifestyle Editor Julia O’Regan at [email protected].