An overview of student research ventures at Iona

In both the School of Business and the School of Arts and Science, some professors work with students to facilitate research projects. The foundations of these projects can be statistical or observational and follow a variety of different pathways. Some of the projects are geared toward gathering quantitative data, while others aim to prove theoretical statements. In some cases, quantitative analysis has even been used to prove some theoretical statements true.

In the School of Business, Dr. Eric Hamerman of the Marketing department supervised a student’s honors thesis during the spring 2018 semester.

“Independent study is a common approach used to conduct student and faculty-led research,” Hamerman said.

Hamerman went on to say that the independent study research project he worked on focused on the gender demographic of sports fans. As the adviser, Hamerman guided the student through a regulated survey process to determine the gender makeup of major league sports fans. The student went on to use this project for their honors thesis.

Within the Economics department of the School of Arts and Science, there is a research-based course called Econometrics.

“Students conduct research through data analysis to answer economic questions and puzzles,” Dr. Bhaswati Sengupta of the Economics department said of the class.

Beyond the class, Sengupta advises students who wish to do research on their own.

“A great way to do original research is through working one-on-one with students,” Sengupta said. “It is the absolute best way to learn fully, and have the students come out of the project feeling as though they have accomplished something.”

Professors in the Chemistry department also oversee student research. Anthony Liles is one student who worked with Dr. Sunghee Lee this past summer to conduct a research project.

“Doing research has been the opportunity of a lifetime,” Liles said. “I never knew that […] freshmen students enrolled in an undergraduate program would have such amazing opportunities available to them. Working with Dr. Lee in the Chemistry department has left me with so many amazing memories and priceless research lab skills I never would have had gathered without having participated in student research at Iona.”

The annual Iona Scholars Day is another opportunity for Iona students to share their work. The day showcases faculty-mentored student work and allows students in all disciplines to recognize and appreciate each other’s work through oral presentations, panel sessions, performances and poster presentations. ISD projects may be initiated as part of a course or as independent collaborations with faculty. ISD also features Fine and Performing Arts presentations.

Students interested in presenting their research work at the Ninth Annual Iona Scholars Day in the spring of 2019 can email Dr. Sunghee Lee at [email protected].