Iona students share what they are thankful for

Edona Maracaj Staff Writer

Come Nov. 22, Iona students will head into Thanksgiving break. For many, it is a much-needed chance to catch up on work or sleep. Most importantly though, Thanksgiving break is an opportunity to spend time with loved ones and remember what we’re thankful for. While Iona students celebrate the holiday in different ways, Thanksgiving is a chance for everyone to let friends and family know how grateful they are for them.

Here are some of the blessings in life that your fellow Gaels are thankful for this holiday season.

“My birthday is Nov. 23, around Thanksgiving, so I’m thankful for my mother, my parents, all of my family and God. And every year I celebrate my birthday along with Thanksgiving. I’m just thankful for being born.” – Dan Liang, Graduate Student

It’s kind of fun, to get together with your family and eat a bunch of food. I’m not super big on Thanksgiving but it’s cool. I’m thankful for my friends, my family and my boyfriend. I also have a cat.” – Sasha Rubeo, Freshman

“I am thankful for having my family – I love my family. I am thankful for everything that I have in my life, like education, family. My siblings are my small world and I’m just so thankful for them, and I’ll be celebrating this Thanksgiving with them.” – Azka Ghaffar, Sophomore

“I’m thankful for the internship that I’ve received. Also, I’m thankful to continue my academic career and to continue finishing up school. I have one more year left of college, and I’m just anxious to get that year over so I can just jump right into my career. I’m thankful to get to spend my Thanksgiving with family that I don’t get to see often because I’m packed with a lot of stuff here at Iona, and a lot of activities. I’m just ready to get my Thanksgiving break started.” – Kiara Vernon, Junior

“Family, friends, being in school and health.” – Michael Guy, Senior.

“As a family tradition we always say what we’re thankful for. I am thankful that I have the ability to get my degree in English… and that I still have a roof over my head.” – Joshua Gonzalez, Senior

“Honestly, I’m thankful for the time that I have to spend with my family. I’ve always been thankful for them… I’d do anything for them. Even if it’s something as little as picking up my brother from school to help my mom. The most miniscule things mean a lot to me, if I can benefit them in anyway. I’ve also got three cats and three dogs.” – Nicholas Rabadi, Junior

“I am thankful for my family, all the love and support they give me. I am also grateful for my sisters of Phi Gamma Chi because without them I’d be lost at Iona. I am grateful for my time at Iona coming to an end and being able to go to my next step in life.” – Jolisa Garcia, Senior

“Family, friends and health. Also, I am thankful for the opportunity to have a proper education.” – Juan Castaneda, Sophomore

Whichever way you decide to spend this Thanksgiving break, whether it be stuffing your face with food, sleeping in late or even volunteering time to give back to your local community, it is always a great time to reminisce on what you have rather than what you don’t.